Thursday, March 26, 2009

Scary Give ACT makes Americorps 14 largest employer - Demint

Very Scary Give ACT

WND article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92288
Gateway Pundit article: http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/03/obamas-youth-brigade-will-not-be.html

Prohibbited activities include:

SEC. 125. (a) Prohibited Activities- A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities:
(1) Attempting to influence legislation.
(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.…
(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of religious proselytization.



My Letter to Sestak my rep. It's way to long I know but it all had to be said to some aid who reads it. Maybe they'll highlight the important parts but it all had to be said.



I want to know where you stand on the Give Act. Just so you know, I am all in favor of volunteering. I had a scholarship based completely on volunteering at my small private Quaker college Guilford. I was a Bonner Scholar. Volunteer hours were required for graduation in my Catholic Schools, but I do not believe the government has the right to impose mandatory volunteerism. I do not believe the government has the right to impose how or when I volunteer and for whom I volunteer.

If the government would like to promote such good behavior I believe they could do things like we have for our armed forces - volunteer for the Peace Corps and we'll give you a free education etc. Volunteer as an adult and we'll give you a tax credit. I'm up for ideas here, BUT NOT ideas like you must submit to our group and our ideas and orders. That is Un-American, and I hope you see it that way too sir.

It is very dangerous territory and an erosion of our personal liberties to have the government mandate its citizens have to join a group - regardless of dress code.

It's one thing for a state to say if you want to graduate with a HS diploma you have to do so many hours at a site of your choice. That is freedom; that is personal reasonability. I may chose to volunteer for my church at a soup kitchen, and someone else may chose to volunteer for a Muslim organization, another planting trees for their mother nature.... everyone has their right to individual freedom in this choice.

According to a report by Canada Free Press, "'volunteerism' that kept America running since the days of its founding" would be "wiped out with the stroke of a pen."

"It becomes forced labor and like the practice of another era, presses American citizens of all ages and creeds, unknowingly into military service," the commentary said.

I don't like being lectured by foreign countries on how stupid we are being, and the chorus is getting louder each day sir.

"H.R. 1388 goes straight to the heart of volunteerism in America, impacting everything from the lemonade stands of neighborhood children, to the residents of senior citizens homes. … The Give Act puts tow-headed school children and silver-haired seniors in the official uniform of the new State, and encompasses every walk of life in main-street America," the commentary said. "Whether you are young or old, or firmly believe that volunteering means you are offering your time to the good of community work, you will be pressed into Obama's National Civilian Community Corps."

These are your seniors, your heart. I know we need them to help us and teach us. I wouldn't be who I was without my Grandmother and my husband was saved by his grandparents influence. BUT to mandate they serve in this capacity is wrong. You of all people I imagine would know a capitalistic freedom fighting way to introduce means to open doors for seniors to benefit our country without joining a citizen corps controlled by the government.

Groups of such "volunteers," would, under the legislation, be "grouped together as appropriate in campuses for operational, support, and boarding purposes. The Corps campus for a unit shall be in a facility or central location established as the operational headquarters and boarding place for the unit. … There shall be a superintendent for each camp."

No one puts me in a camp sir. Did you serve in Vietnam? Respectfully, (I don't know and I am way to young to have lived through it) as a soldier you fought for people's right to protest and dissent. Putting us under camps? Change the wording but the Nazi idea is still the same. Does not sugar coat this sir. Be the American hero we need you to be and take the stand for freedom. Don't let Pelosi bend you over again and again.